31/08/2013

Waening Again

I  hadn't tried any beers from Waen since my very first blog post, some 2 1/4 years ago; so decided to rectify that when some untried beers popped up in stalwart bottle supplier Ales by Mail.


I must say the new branding is much more eye catching and stylish than the previous multicoloured stripes, I wonder how the beer stands up?

Up First is T.W.A. standing for traditional Welsh Ale, though how that differs from pale ales elsewhere is anyone's guess. This is a dark burnished gold with herbal hop aroma, sweet biscuit malt, vegetal notes then some sweet red berry leading to a dry grainy finish. Not my favourite of their beers really, could be from any UK brewer.

Landmark is a hazy dark amber with fluffy off white head. Herbal dry noble hop nose, fairly high carbonation, full bodied, biscuit malt sweetness, slightly vegetal astringent bitterness. Good for quaffing.

 

Chili Plum Porter (6.1%) pours a hazy ruby tinged brown with tan tinged head. Gives little away on the nose some muted cinnamon notes and cardboard. Begins fairly sweet, a dusting of cocoa, stewed plums, a tingle of chili, burnt roast barley notes, some coffee. Finishing fairly dry. A little lacking in chili but plums are certainly there.Its not quite what I had expected but enjoyable nonetheless and certainly doesn't drink its strength. One for cask sampling I'd wager.

So are these beers simply not as good as the first ones I tried or has my palate moved on a bit? A bit of both I'd wager. Try them yourself as I may be wrong.

Waen
@TheWaenBrewery
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment